Shemmy's Life Stories

Sunday, January 27, 2008

An Answered Prayer...

November 23, 2004 was when I heard the most horrifying news that would change my life forever...

I called Darryl on his cellphone several times that day but I didn't get any answer what-so-ever ... I thought he just didn't have any reception since he was invited by a couple of our close friends on a weekend hike up in Big Bend, Texas ... I tried calling again, and again, and again --- still there wasn't any asnwer ... I finally called Houston to get our friend's (Darryl's companions) cellphone number and called them instead ... Finally the phone was picked up ... But I didn't like the sound of our friends' voice on the other line ... She was in panik and sounded like she was going to cry ...

Shem, we got stopped at one of the check point stations. Darryl was the one driving and they probably thought he was an illegal mexican since he's so scrubby at that time. They asked if we were citizens and because of Darryl's honesty and told him that he wasn't, they asked us to get out of the car. They checked Darryl's status in the computer since the papers that he brought along with him wasn't enough. He called his uncle Mark to fax him an additional paper for proof but it didn't work. They HAD TO DETAIN HIM!

My eyes grew big in shock.

So where is he now?

They said they were gonna take him to El Paso and have him detained there until everything is settled. If not, they'll just end up deporting him.

I was in more shock when I heard the word DEPORTING ... Why did he get into this situation? ... I thought everything was okay! I didn't hesitate even just a bit ... I told my employer I'm leaving to go to El Paso for an emergency matter ... He permitted me right away without any questions ... I called my parents about the situation and they supported my decision to go and see him ... I got to a computer, booked my flight for 4 days to El Paso and reserved myself a rental car as well ... Where did I get the money? ... Let's just say the Lord was good ... I was able to speak to Darryl for a moment before they took his cellphone away from him and got the information where he will be placed during the weekend ... I booked a hotel that's cheap and close to where the detention area is ...

November 24, 2004 --- I got to El Paso late in the afternoon, I was getting hungry but I ignored it and started calling the detention hall if he has arrived ... After so many attempts to call the detention hall they finally found him ... Apparently, they were still on their way to El Paso when I called so he wasn't registered yet ... Darryl told me that they arrived late at night and they still had to register them, change their clothes and assign them to their barracks ... It took a good 3 hours before he could finally get into bed ...

I called again the following day and this time I was able to talk to him ... It was the most relieving experience for me to just hear his voice at that time ... I set up a time to visit him that very day so we can talk about things and see how we could fix the immigration problems ... I got to the detention hall and to my surprise I found out that I had to talk to him through a 5-inch thick glass in a telephone ... My heart sunk to see his sad face on the otherside of the window ... Poor Darryl ... I wish I could give him a hug but I can't ...

I stayed over the weekend to keep him company although we couldn't really do much since that was a thanksgiving weekend ... The funny part about the whole thing was that there I was spending my thanksgiving alone --- left a big part in the church thanksgiving program --- ate at Olive Garden by myself, while Darryl had a delicious, delectable meal and a turkey with a bunch of his detention hall buddies ... They even had someone to wash their underwear for them everyday! ... I was surely by myself but it gave me a lot time to think and pray ... I prayed like I've never prayed before ...

So what was the solution? ... The fastest one we could think off --- GET MARRIED! ... So after that whole incident we decided to tie the knot and planned the whole event in 2 weeks ... I felt really sad because the only person from Darryl's side at that time was his sister ... Plus, we weren't able to have our friends from Houston witness the ceremony ... I'm thankful, though that he has a very understanding mom and dad ... And I'm very thankful that I have a very supportive parents how loves Darryl ... So we went through the wedding --- got an attorney to fix the problem, waited and prayed some more ... We applied for his visa in May of 2005 ... We got his working permit that December so he was able to work, while I started slowing down from work due to pregnancy ...

After 2 YEARS and 8 MONTHS of waiting, God has finally answered our prayers ...

!!!DARRYL IS FINALLY A UNITED STATES IMMIGRANT!!!
YEY to him ... It took long time, but we patiently waited for God's answer to come ... We've been dreaming to visiting Canada together and going on a cruise and now we can actually do it ... We just need to money for it ...
There is more to what happened during the weekend I was in El Paso and they are carefully detailed in my journal ... I wish I could put them in this entry, but it would take me ssooooo long to type them all down ...
Anyhow, thanks to those who supported us throughout this endeavor ... I can't mention each and everyone of you, but you know exactly who you are ... You might not give any help financially, but your prayers were strong and we couldn't do anything without it ...
This is my story!!!

2 Comments:

  • kuya da, congratulations on getting your immigrant visa!!! your prayers have finally been answered!!! c'mon shem, tell us the gender!! i hope it's a boy so you'll have 1 of each. hehe. by the way, when are you due? avani is growing up so fast!!! i can't believe she's running around and talking to so much! sam always tells me funny stories about her and all the new things she's learning. y'all are truly blest to have a healthy baby and another healthy one coming soon. i wish katelyn was like that. we have no one to chase after at church. she's still not walking and talking yet.

    take care and God bless! i miss you guys!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:30 AM  

  • welcome to america daryl! Truly an amazing answered prayer! i can't wait to see you in May! You will be there for Miche's wedding, eh?! hope so! miss ya.

    By Blogger Bev, At 4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home